Home             About Me             Blogs I Love            

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Foodie Staycation

Lyell had off this past week, so I was hoping for a quicky vacation. Between me taking all my vacation time to extend my maternity leave and Lyell starting his 2nd year of law school in two weeks, there will be no more opportunities to go anywhere. So last week, I "kind of" looked online to a driveable destination. With Elliott still hating being in the car, still figuring out how I would pump during this drive, and the weather stating thunderstorms all week..I was feeling defeated. I guess it also came down to my laziness, but we decided to just have a staycation. 

A foodie staycation.

Lyell and I love the Food Network. We have seen every Top Chef and almost every Chopped. I love watching all the neat little hole-in-the-wall places/ mom and pop restaurants and there specialty items. Lyell suggested this week for us to go to all the popular Nashville restaurants that we have never been too. We tend to stick with our favorites and never venture out. And considering me being a picky eater, we do love everything: Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Thai, ect, ect... There was a huge list of places I wanted to go, but it came down to dealing with a newborn, getting her out several times a day and I felt like we were wearing her out.

The Pharmacy: I love East Nashville restaurants. I love Mitchell's, The Village Pub, Marche Artian, RosePepper, Battered & Fried, Beyond the Edge and the list goes on. Since I work in East Nashville, we have almost hit all the local places...except the Pharmacy. With all the buzz, it was first on the list.








It was really wonderful. I had the Pharmacy Burger with cold pasta salad and Lyell got the cheese burger with sweet potato fries and we split a orange soda. We both agree a night out with friends at their picnic tables under the lights hanging from their trees would be grand. Who is in?

Pancake Pantry: So sad to say I had never been there. With the line that  always wraps around the building, it is so intimidating. Our line was not too terrible and we got in relatively quick. We both love breakfast food (especially for dinner) so it was hard deciding on what to get. I got the silver dollar pancakes and hash browns. Lyell got the orange walnut pancakes with a big bowl of fruit. Ellie had a big bottle of milk. It was so yummy. I don't think I can look at Waffle House the same now and can totally see myself standing in that long line again, rain or shine.

  








Hip Donelson Farmer's Market: I randomly found out this was happening for the first time this past Friday, so it was put on my list (plus its close to the house and a quick drive for our anti-traveler). There was live music and a small area of vendors selling local fruits and veggies along with some local food trucks.  Dixie Belle's Cupcakes was my main reason for wanting to go.  I know one of the owners so I was excited to finally get a chance to taste the yumminess. And it was!!! If you know me, you know how much I  loveGigi's Cupcakes and rarely want anything else. I have a new love :) Lyell raved about his two choices: Blackberry Summer and Toffee Crunch Chocolate cupcake. The plain Jane me picked: Simple Vanilla and Chocolate Birthday. The cake was so moist and I can not wait to try them again. This is something you must try too...they say they will be at the Donelson Farmer's Market next Friday from 4-7...you should most defiantly swing by after work.







Cottage Cafe: I didn't take any photos of the food, which is a shame because it is such a quaint place. Being a antique shop and cafe rolled into one, its a great girly lunch visit (and boys when boys are off work). Please go try the Lemon Artichoke soup...I cant tell you how delicious this is.



So that is it :( I have a long list that we will continue to try. It was also a good test of understanding how going out to eat will with a little one can be tricky. Elliott was really great for the most part. Once we are out of the house and car, she tends to do very well and loves to look at her surroundings (or just really likes ceiling fans). 

So whats your favorite place to eat? 

I would have to say Mitchell's Deli is my still favorite at the moment. I have been eating there for a while (or back when there was no long line). They use all local items and they have the best bacon. Like literally! They use Benton's Bacon  from TN which have been voted best bacon by esquire magazine (random)!!!



1 comment:

  1. You are adorable and this blog is great!

    ReplyDelete